Friday, June 26, 2009

Heal the World!

In commemoration to our generations first pop icon Micheal Jackson who died suddenly yesterday here are some of my memories of his music. When I was around 3 or 4 the Thriller video had just come out and I can remember Jason and Dean watching it in our den in Albuquerque with the lights off and I hid behind the blue recliner, it was terrifying! Dean used sing in the car (and wherever) to 80's hairbands and I can remember telling him he sung like MJ because he was so high-pitched :) When Heal the World came out in the early 90's that was a moving song to me as a kid. The coolest video was the black and white video and I can remember the world premier of that one on MTV. It is a hard pill to swallow when we see "our" (gen x) first tragic "young" (50) death of a music icon. I know we hear about the days that John Lennon, Elvis Presley, Jimi Hendrix and remember the tragedy of Kurt Cobain. But this was different.

Gary Giovannetti, 38, a manager at HBO who grew up on Long Island awash in
Farrah and MJ iconography. "This," he said, "is the moment when Generation X
realizes they're grown up"

RIP Big Mike! We are forever grateful to your soundtrack as the background of some of our most vivid memories!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the quote! I don't want to grow up!! I want to be a kid listening to Man in the mirror. SO SAD!!!

    ReplyDelete