Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Day in the Park

This could be a stepping stone (I hope!) or just a milestone.... but along with my best running buddy of 14 years Kimberly,we ran our first 5k... ok so we haven't ran together in 10 years since our Soccer State Championship in 2000. We didn't train we just went for it and we did ok. Except for walking while we tried to drink our water we ran the entire way. It was so fun to have so many friends running in it, we were the only amateurs in our group. Out of our little group, four one awards for their time. Congrats to Courtney, Kim, Kelsey, and Peyton!! Some things I noticed on this 5k....
  • Age is NOT a factor the 2 fastest men were 17 and 60 something.
  • Pacing means everything and stride length is what will get you to the finish faster.
  • I cannot swallow in mid-run it just wont work, I kept having to just spit the water out because it wouldn't go down....who knew?!
  • Hudson and Harrison need more prepping, they thought I was going to run away, they screamed and cried when we lined up to start, it was traumatizing for us both.
  • A cheap race shirt is reason enough to run till you can't breathe, get in survival mode and talk each other through the final leg of the race like we are on the Amazing Race, keep talking yourself out of stopping to puke, and most of all... accomplishing a goal you set for yourself with a best friend and having your babies and husband cheer you on!
The weather could not have been worse on my lungs hot, heavy, and muggy air. I am looking forward to trying one in dryer conditions. We went to the Crager's afterward and had a fun day of crawfish and fun.....GREAT weekend!!

Pre-race, a little nervous


Getting ready to start, Hudson was not letting me get too far away.


This is a piece of what we ran through, downtown Laurel is a treasure and the scenery was beautiful!


After the boys calmed down they were worn out and it was only 8:00 am!


At the finish, we did it!


Here are the boys at BOP's eating Dirt n' Worms...we had to really explain it wasn't dirt and no the worms don't bite... they are so funny.





6 comments:

  1. I would die if I tried to run a 5k. Congrats! That is an accomplishment I must say. The pictures of Harrison and Hudson eating dirt and worms are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to both of you! I don't think I could make it running. Harrison's face is so cute in that last pic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job!!! I don't think I could run down the driveway to my mailbox, and certainly not 5K!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go! What an accomplishment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! And I sooo agree on the "things you notice on a 5K"! Funny stuff ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ummm!! I noticed all of that as well. Especially the not being able to swallow. What was that about?! I hope we make this a tradition!! And maybe run a few others in between for more practice:)

    ReplyDelete