Friday, October 29, 2010

Cool Air Recipe time!


As soon as there was a hint of cool air, I was in the mood for a slow cooker meal. However, my time didn't allow me to wait 8 hours considering it was 5:00 pm on Thursday night! I tried this recipe and made some changes and it was DELICIOUS!! The only thing you might have to run out for is the chicken unless you want to substitute cooked chicken breasts. Happy Halloween and Southern Miss To The Top!!

Chicken Tortilla Soup
(cook time: under an hour)
serves 8-10 (or great for leftovers)

2 Tb spoons of butter
1 clove of garlic (or 1 teaspoon of diced garlic out of the jar)
1 Rotisserie Chicken (cooked)
1 32 oz. carton of chicken stock
1 12 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 can of Rotel
1 can of Mexicorn
1 8oz block of cream cheese (softened)
1 Tb spoon (or more) of cumin
1 Tb spoon of red chili powder
1 tsp cilantro
garlic powder and pepper to taste

(shredded cheese and tortilla chips to serve, we like the tostitos scoops with the "hint of jalapeno")

In a stock pot, on med/high heat melt butter and saute diced garlic for about 3 minutes, then pour in chicken stock and all vegetables. In the mean time take a fork and shred the meat off the breast of the rotisserie chicken. Once the liquid comes to a boil pour chicken, cream cheese, and spices in. Let the mixture simmer until cream cheese is blended (15 minutes) and it is ready! I like to turn mine on low and let it simmer for an hour, the flavors really come out the longer it sits.

5 comments:

  1. Yum! Thanks! I feel like I've been making the same ole, same ole, so I will definitely try this one this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I will be making this very soon!! I love soup when the weather turns cooler!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay- already tried it. It was wonderful! We just had it for dinner tonight. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cooked this today for lunch and it was a hit! Will be cooking it again, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete