Thursday, January 5, 2012

T-shirt memories

I have been trying to tackle a job of cleaning out everyday this week, yesterday my sweet momma came up and it took us ALL day to clean out Saylor's closet, drawers, and shelves. Today I tackled my dresser drawers and I was shocked at the amount of clothes and what-nots I was able to hoard in that thing! I haven't used it in a couple of years because I moved all of my everyday clothes to my closet so it's been dormant. The volume of t-shirts I went through was ridiculous. However, it was so nostaligic. Every shirt has a special person, place or memory associated with it so I guess that's why I've been holding onto them. I have decided to purge myself of all the "fat" this year so I'm not saving them or making a quilt with them or even taking a picture...none of those preserve the memories it just makes more "things" to keep up with. The hardest to put in the bag were my first soccer jersey in HYSA, my first USM shirt, my first fraternity bid day shirt, the ARMY shirt Mr.Rusty Cullinane gave us girls our sophomore year of HS, my old Orange Beach Marina shirts, Phi Mu party shirts, Furniture Liquidation shirts .... Etc, etc! It feels good to have visited those memories again, but even better that I have four empty drawers now and moving forward in life to find more really cool t-shirts to wear out! Three things I put into my keep bag... My sequined American flag string bikini I rocked in Cancun our senior trip (to have that body again...), my wedding garter, the party t-shirt from the night Joel and I met.... and a card with a poem my hard serious Joel wrote me when he was heavily courting me, it's amazing and sweet and made me blush and tear-up... What a softie he was!

3 comments:

  1. I know the feeling! I have held onto t-shirts for way too long before;) I've gotten rid of most of them, but there are still a couple I just can't let go of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still wear my OG Red Cross Heart Walk shirt from 99 :) I will gladly take those shirts off your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh the army shirt! i misplaced mine a few years ago and was devastated! LOVED that shirt!!

    ReplyDelete